EDC or everyday carry refers to the collection of items you take with you on an everyday basis no matter where you go. That is to say, you consider them essential and require them to be present at your disposal at all times. Like any other item that helps you make your outdoor visits comfortable, EDC knives are a must-have. You may need one to cut a fruit, a tag, a string or anything-depending upon the situation faced. So, carrying it is not an option but a necessity for a prudent person.
A lot of people, who wish to carry an EDC knife, refrain from doing so because they think it could raise security issues. They are scared of being harassed at airports and other security backed places on the charge of carrying a knife. Such a thing might happen only if you opt for the wrong knife, say, a knife so big that it could make anyone cringe in fear. To save yourself from such situations you must choose the right knife or a knife that wouldn’t trigger suspicion among people.
But heading to the market and picking a knife may not be as simple as it sounds. Chances are you will pick the wrong variety, not exactly suitable for your needs. Hence, being careful while investing on an EDC knife is advisable.
Table of Contents
Top 2 Best EDC Knives 2018
|Best EDC Knives||Review||Price|
|#1 BlizeTec Survival Knife||Read Review||Check Price|
|#2 Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite||Read Review||Check Price|
If you haven’t heard about EDC knives or used them before then here is a guide to help you decide whether or not to go for them. Lets’ begin from learning what EDC knives are-
What is an EDC knife?
As discussed above, an everyday carry knife is a necessity and literally lives with you in a sense that it remains in your bag or your pocket almost all the time.
It may be large or small depending on your requirements. EDC knives are available in so many different styles that you can pick one well in accordance with your taste.
The concept of everyday carry is not new and it has been popular ever since its existence. The idea is built around the fundamentals of preparedness and usefulness. Every day, your EDC knife prepares you to handle the worst and enables you perform the best. So, an EDC- whether a knife or any other item- should have, at least, one dedicated useful purpose.
Why Do You Need an EDC knife?
Today, everybody carries an EDC item along. People understand how bothersome unforeseen and unpleasant situations can be and prefer to remain equipped at all times. If you are one among those people who believe “prevention is better than cure,” you will thank yourself for owning an EDC knife. And trust this- by letting it be in your pocket, a wealth of benefits can be enjoyed, some of which have been dished out here-
- The first important benefit is that you can do myriad things using an EDC knife, that too in a highly efficient manner. Besides, there is no harm adding new tools to your carry-on arsenal. It takes the hassle out of your day and helps you perform cutting tasks in an effortless manner. With the ‘everyday carry’ approach, it is possible to maximize the efficacy and performance of any tool including a knife.
- Another important reason why you should keep an EDC knife with you is that it enhances your self-reliance and readiness to face unforeseen situations. So, it’s not just routine tasks that get accomplished with the help of this tool, even less common challenges are perfectly met. Your EDC knife ensures that you are able to fulfill all your cutting needs without anyone’s assistance.
- On a lot of occasions, we don’t need other people’s help to get things done. Still doing them becomes a chore because maybe they are too time-consuming. An EDC knife simply saves your time. So, time-pressed people can immensely benefit from these knives. These knives are especially valuable for travelers. However, one can make use of them even if they are not into frequent travelling. Supposing, you are at home and need to cut a fruit. You ransack all your drawers and kitchen shelves and cupboards looking for a knife but to no avail. Now, if you have an EDC knife ready in your bag, you won’t be screaming out of frustration. The bottom line is, an EDC knife can make things considerably convenient for any user.
- If you invest in a good EDC knife, it is going to add to your long term investments. How? By helping you avoid repeat purchases that are often caused when flimsy items are bought. Choose a robust item for your first purchase, and it will probably last for as long as you would want it to. Refrain from buying inexpensive, cheaply made, less durable products if you are looking to buy them for EDC.
- How about being able to individualize your EDC knife? As a matter of fact, everything you use- clothes, accessories, gadgets- reflect a lot about your personality. If you want to use your EDC as an expression of who you are then cherry picking it is a must. What kind of a knife you are looking for? A royal looking one or one with a fun side to it. No matter what you expect from your EDC knife, a good legwork around the market should be able to help you get hold of the right product.
What Factors to Consider When You Buy an EDC Knife?
There is no end to choices when it comes to picking an EDC knife from the market. And that is probably the reason why one should know what their requirements are. Once you figure out your needs, you are ready to bring home the product. But before you spend on any EDC knife, here is a factor checklist you should be referring to while finally making the purchase-
- An important aspect that most people seem to ignore is the size of the knife. And the size depends to a considerable extent on the kind of purpose you want it for. If you want it just to add some oomph to your tool kit, then there is no limit to the choices you have at hand. You can go for any size depending upon what appeals to you most. However, if you want it to just be there with you for tackling crisis situations then it needs to be handy or small in size. But make sure it is not too small or else you won’t be able to perform even simple tasks using it.
- The handle has to be comfortable to hold. If you are going to opt for a knife with a handle that looks utterly stylish but offers no ease-of-use, you will realize you have wasted your money. Look for a handle that’s easy to grip. Most people prefer smaller handles. They are not just easy to hold but also enable you to work faster. However, if you find longer handles more comfortable to use, then go for them. All you should keep in mind is your comfort. The more comfortable, the better it is.
- There are knife laws in some places. Be aware of them. A lot of countries prohibit carrying locking knives; others don’t allow knives at all. Having proper knowledge about your land might prove helpful in this regard. A good knowledge of these laws will save you from being harassed by the law enforcing entities of your land.
- The design of the knife in question can also be considered a vital decisive factor. If you are looking to carry it inside your pocket or clutch, it must be compact in design. A design that saves space will ensure your knife doesn’t bother other items in your bag. And that is why most people opt for foldable knives instead of the ones that don’t bend.
Types and Designs of EDC Knives to Consider
There is no dearth of options when it comes to EDC knives. They are available in different varieties, brands, materials and colors. Making a choice can, therefore, be a daunting task. But with the proper guidance, you can narrow down your choices better. Below, you find the most popular types of EDC knives-
Folding EDC Knives
As the name suggests, a folding knife folds by virtue of its design. The blade and the handle in such a knife are connected in such a way that the blade can smoothly be pushed into the handle offering it a compact shape.
Fixed Blade EDC Knives
The blade in such knives is not hinged on the handle. These knives are less safe for children and occupy more space than the fixed blade variety. There are a plethora of these knives available in the market, you can choose one according to the purpose you want it to serve.
Multi-Tool EDC Knives
This is the most versatile variety and comes with a lot of tools apart from the blade. Some of the tools included in such knives are bottle openers, wire strippers, screwdrivers and the like.
EDC Card Knives
All everyday carry aficionados love this variety immensely. They are so slim they look like a card. Because of their slim and sleek design they can be carried by men in their wallets as well.
A wallet knife resembles a card knife in the sense that they both fit into a wallet effortlessly. But it is unique in its design and may come attached with multiple tools.
EDC Lapel Knives
Lapel knives remain hidden behind lapels of coats and blazers or inside ties. The purpose of carrying this knife is self defense. If you are someone who has to travel at night times, this tool is what you need for your own protection.
Top 2 EDC Knife Reviews 2018
This is a 5-in-one tool to fit your pocket just perfectly. Made of stainless steel and available with a nylon pouch, this knife offers you great durability. It is ideal for a range of purposes. People, who are engaged in outdoor activities such as camping can benefit a lot from this knife.
With a weight of just 5.46oz, it doesn’t become a hassle to carry. In addition, it is so compact you can hold it between your palms. You may choose to carry this knife either with the nylon pouch or the belt clip, either way it is going to be convenient for you. This knife is a must-have tool for anyone who is always on the go.
What more? It is just 8.5 inches long when open, including the handle. BlizeTec emergency knife is something you would love to keep in your everyday carry kitty. It is ideal for use by both men and women.
- Lifetime warranty
- Add-ons in the knife include mini LED light, a pocket clip, window breaker, magnesium fire starter and seatbelt cutter.
- Sharp blade.
- Magnets in the knife may not be very strong.
- Some users say the knife is a little larger than they had expected.
The razor blade of this knife is made of stainless steel and is replaceable. Hence, it allows you the freedom of overusing it. In case, it loses its sharpness, you can always replace it.
If you are someone who stays outdoors most of the time and like to get wet, you would want your knife’s grip to be firm. This knife offers you exactly that. Grivory (glass/nylon) with rubberized TPR handles offers you a grip that doesn’t slip at all, even when your hand is wet. With a weight of merely 2.8 ounces, it offers great ease of carrying. And because the overall length of the knife is 8 inches (3.5 inches of which come from the blade), you can carry it even inside small pouches and wallets. There are six blades available with the knife. Now, have a look at some of the pros and cons of the product-
- Compact and easy to carry
- Removable blades
- Sleek design
- Blade may wobble a little
- May not be suitable for heavy use.
- There may be difficulty closing the knife.
An EDC knife is not just for people who go camping every weekend, it’s for everyone. An EDC knife in your pocket or you bag can prove lifesaving in certain crisis situations. So, what makes you wait? Just check out all available options and pick one that meets your requirements.